In a nutshell
- to promote, encourage and organise walking and similar outdoor activities;
- to promote interest in flora, fauna and natural scenery in Tasmania;
- to provide training opportunities for members in navigation and bushcraft;
- to provide a source of information on bushwalking in Tasmania to members;
- to promote goodwill and social interaction amongst members.
- Our main activity is walking for pleasure in Tasmania i.e. bushwalking, hiking, tramping. We also go cycling, snow skiing, and kayaking.
- We offer walking trips of varying levels of difficulty – from easy, short walks suitable for families with toddlers and people with some limited mobility right through to multi-day expeditions in rough and remote areas of Tasmania.
- A non-member (Visitor) may join a trip as a guest of a Club Member on up to three occasions, with the agreement of the Trip Coordinator.
- Join our Facebook page to see what we’ve been doing lately.
- Modest annual membership fee (currently $33)
- The opportunity to participate in our program of over 500 walks and 150 cycle trips a year.
- The safety of walking in a group.
- Great companionship and lots of fun as part of our 800 plus membership.
- Tap into a vast resource of bushwalking information on Tasmania.
- A variety of training sessions in essential skills, navigation, coordination of group activities and occasionally other training opportunities, such as first aid.
- Monthly electronic newsletter (the Circular) of forthcoming activities (paper Circular costs extra).
- Monthly Club Night with news about current bushwalking issues, guest speakers, and supper.
- Join over 100 member volunteers who organise the Club and its activities.
- A sense of history – HWC is one of the oldest and largest bushwalking clubs in Australia.
- The Club hut at Lake Dobson in Mt Field National Park.
- Discounts in some outdoor shops.
- All members undertake essential skills day as part of the joining process
- Optional training for all our trip coordinators
- A PLB (personal locator beacon) is available for all trips
- We subsidise first aid training for active members
- We subsidise purchase of PLBs by active members
Snow on the way to Collins Bonnet.